Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Difference Between My Girls

Now that the Magster is settled in her preschool and loving every second of it, I have several more sets of eyes on my girls. And everyday, when I pick them up, a different teacher stops me and says, "Your girls could not be more different from each other."

Of course, this isn't news to me. I have been aware of their opposite personalities for some time. But this week, when picking up the kids from school their play ground behavior captured the essence of their distinct personalities.

Ever since La Nina was 2, when I picked her up from school she was one of two places: either on the swing or waiting for her turn. It's uncanny. It doesn't matter if I'm early or late. It doesn't matter if it's warm or cold. She loves to swing and rarely deviates from her preferred activity. In fact, I can only remember one time, when I found her somewhere other than the swing. She was in the potty. Hey-when nature calls, even swinging can wait.

On the other hand, I never know where I'm going to find her sister. I have found her in tunnels, in sand and on top of slides. Never once have I found her near the swing. Of late, the Magster's activities have been concerning me. This week, when I picked her up, she was leading the boys' on a merry chase around the playground. And she was winning. There were 3 of them. And they were all almost 5 years old. I wouldn't have been worried except one of the boys came up to me and said, "She is so cute, I just want to kiss her." Good GOD! She's only 2. Then, I heard she asked him to spend the night. "Night-night my house, ok?" Just for the record, I have a firm no boys overnight policy that extends until my girls are 40 or married, which ever comes first.

So being a good Mom, after Tuesday, I decided she needed to know it's ok to tell the boys "No". I took her aside this morning and told her if she didn't like being chased by the boys, she could tell them No and if they didn't stop, she could talk to the teacher. She looked a little confused, and said ok.

So, today, when I show up, I do a little stealth observation. On one side of the playground I see the 3 boys playing with trucks. On the other side, I see my dear, sweet, mild-mannered Magster. Her sister is at her usual post near the swing. As I'm watching, the Magster walks over to the group of boys, grabs one by the sleeve and yells, "Come On", sprinting away. Next thing you know, she is leading the pack of boys around the playground. I walk onto the playground as she takes a spill literally at my feet. One of the boys, the one who wants to kiss her, picks her up, dusts her off, and the pursuit begins again. The Magster never even noticed me. Her sister, on the other hand, runs over to me, gives me a hug, and returns to her spot in line for the swing.

Now, I ask you this...is this a bad sign? 'Cuz I'm a little worried.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    No, I always oreferred to play with the boys and I turned out fine! She probably likes all the "power" she has being able to make those boys chase her!
    Lisa

     
  • At 3:15 PM , Blogger Johnny said...

    One will be working on her calculus homework on Friday night.

    The other on will have the boys chasing her on Friday night.

     
  • At 6:14 PM , Blogger Alan, Lila and Katie said...

    Our 3 year old, Katie, has been proposed to by a very nice 3.5 year old named Nathan. She couldn't care less, his mother and I have talked jokingly about the dowry, and he runs around saying, "Ahhhh, my future wife." We are getting a big kick out of it.

    Alan Berris G88

    katieberr.blogspot.com

     
  • At 11:10 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Uh-oh... sounds to me like the boys are in for it!

     
  • At 11:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I always liked playing with the boys too (still do actually).

    At least your little "Romeo" only said he *wants* to kiss her:

    My father's 1st gray hair came when I was 3 and he came to pick me up from pre-school. A little boy came up and tugged on his pants and asked if he was my dad. When he responded in the affirmative he said "Boy is she a good kisser!!!"

    More power to the Magster!!

    ~Michelle
    www.yoichoichoi.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home