Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

When Life Imitates Art

I had an opportunity today to go to lunch and meet a local writer, Ayelet Waldman. Even better, I am writing a story about the event, so it was as close to a working lunch as I get anymore.

If you aren't familiar with Ayelet Waldman's work, she writes stories about Moms. She is the mother of 4 kids aged 3-11 and lives in the Bay Area. Her most controversial work, an essay that appeared in the New York Times, basically challenged Moms to love their spouses more than they loved their kids. While the essay had a very sexual tone, its message was that a lot of women get so involved in loving their children, they forget to love their spouses. I thought her observations were spot-on. In fact, after reading the essay I could practically list the people I thought fell into that trap. But so controversial was this essay, it landed her on Oprah's infamous couch. It ruffled a lot of feathers with my peers, that is for certain.

Personally, I am a fan Waldman's Mommy Track Mystery series. The protagonist is a public defender who stayed home after her daughter is born and became a private detective. The character's attempt to work while juggling two kids is my life. Sure, I have never answered the door to the Fed Ex man while breast feeding, but I have had to put my kids in a time out while in the middle of interviewing someone for a story. (If you read this, I was interviewing people at the park while mayhem was breaking lose.)

There I am today. I'm lunching, enjoying adult conversation about writing, listening to someone who's work I've read. I hear a cell phone vibrating. Surely, that is not my cell phone, because I'm having a good time. I ignore it. About 10 minutes later, I hear it again. I move my foot over to my foot and feel my purse quiver. Damn! It's my friggin' cell phone.

When I get away from the table, I discover I have 2 messages. Poor Nana and Papa have the Magster and no blue blanket. This is Maggie's personal Hurricane Katrina. It's nap time. There is screaming in the background and Papa sounds a little stressed during the messages. Ugly. I immediately stop what I'm doing to end their drama. I grab my van keys, offer a quick apology and head home to find "wankie".

Now, isn't that ironic? A scene right out of one of her books. I haven't interviewed the shop owner, I haven't really interviewed the writer - though I was asking loads of questions- and the role of mom jerks me right back to my peanut-butter-smeared, Dora-dominated reality. While I was disappointed to leave without saying good-bye, I figured the mother of 4 and the woman who wrote some funny books about just such circumstances would totally understand.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM , Blogger M3 said...

    Hey I remember seeing that lady on Oprah. She got kind of flamed in person, but I thought what she said was pretty valid. I'm envious that you got to meet and interview her, even if it was cut short. :-)

     
  • At 1:37 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    She talked a lot about the Oprah appearance. She is a very unassuming person and said that she was on stage listening to the women bash her, long before they realized who she was. I didn't see the Oprah, but my book club discussed the essay. I can only imagine the conversation.

     
  • At 3:23 PM , Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

    It seems I have to read things several times before I can comprehend and comment...I would like to read some of her work. The idea seems good, een Dr. Phil says you need to nurture your relationship to be good parents...I'll have to check it out, I don't know how I missed her on Oprah, I TIVO it everyday...
    Lisa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home