Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Yet Another Backstory

Today, my all time favorite story to research and write ran in the Danville Weekly. I had the great privilege to meet and interview best-selling author Terry McMillan.

When I originally pitched this idea to my editor last summer, another freelancer was working the story, so I was told "Sorry, already assigned." I was such a new writer I figured it was all for the best. Last fall, while I was discussing story ideas with the same editor, she mentioned the story fell through for the other writer and asked if I was still interested. A long-time fan of Terry McMillan's books and movies, I jumped on it. My deadline was 'whenever' and the conversation ended with a 'good luck' from the editor. The holidays hit and while I didn't forget the story, I did nothing to pursue it.

So, long about January, I decided to start working the story. I googled McMillan's name and found her web site. On a lark, I sent a note to the 'contact us' email address introducing myself and describing the story I wanted to write. A couple of days later, I was stunned to see the name "Terry McMillan" pop into my inbox. She agreed to the interview and gave me a number to call. I was thrilled, and then I realized, I had never really done a story like this before. I mean, really, she is a celebrated literary type. I'm a newby freelancer. And good God, that meant she would read my story. That's when the nerves hit me.

A false start later, we set a date, time and location for the interview. I read her first book, 'Mama' to prepare for the interview as well as her most recent book, 'The Interruption of Everything'. I absolutely loved 'Mama.' The paper hired a professional photographer for me to work with and I was all set.

The morning of the interview my nerves were as tight as the strings on a guitar. I was torn between the excitement of meeting someone who's work I admired and the fear of trying to interview someone who knew Oprah, personally. Why did I think this was a good idea? And the whole thing about a real writer reading my work made me physically ill. It was too late to get out of it, so in I went to the interview.

Ninety minutes later I left with an incredible interview and an even better experience. A couple of things: 1) She has a fascinating life story. 2.) She has an amazing amount of energy. 3.) She is hot for a woman any age and I hope I look half as good as she does at 55.

Writing the story itself was easy, but I still lost some sleep last night thinking she might read it today. I don't know if she did or she didn't, but I was happy with how the story turned out. In the end, that is all I could ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home