Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

One of Those Moments

At the crowded Farmer's Market, a little girl, 4 years old, dressed in a lavendar sleeveless, summer dress, practiced the balance beam. Her head was down and her arms were extended straight out as she carefully walked the line painted down the middle of the street. In one hand she clutched a bag of green beans, in the other a bag of red, ripe cherries. With the morning sun bouncing off her black shiny hair, she epitome of girlhood and spring time as she stepped heal to toe, heal to toe, oblivious to the others around her.

I stood back and marveled at her innocence, her focus, her beauty. Several others stopped too and formed a small semi-circle around her. While I may have been watching, they stopped to avoid bumping into her. She was only paying attention to on the ground. A man approached me, "Is she yours?"

I nodded. I didn't want to speak and break the magical spell a little girl weaves when she gets lost in her own world.

He spoke again, "Isn't that the cutest thing you have ever seen?"

This time I answered, "Yea, it is." My daughter looked up, smiled at me, made a pretend dismount from her imaginery balance beam and excuted a perfect safety landing. The noise of a busy farmer's market turned back on as she took my hand and we continued walking together. Feeling her small hand in mine, I was very glad to be her Mom. And I suspect she was very glad to be a little girl.
*************************************************************************************

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms and Mothers To Be. May you find the small moments and cherish them.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:59 AM , Blogger M3 said...

    It sounds like a beautiful moment!

    Happy Mother's Day!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home