Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Picture Perfect!

Well, after a long weekend of work, we're just about ready for the remodel to start. As of tonight, we're planning to stay in our house, but it's going to be a bit like camping. We're eating on paper plates, I'm improvising meals in ill-fitting pots and pans and the girls are surviving with several of their toys packed. At least we're in our own beds for a few more nights.

Yesterday, in the middle of packing up the house, I had to break for several hours to take the girls to dance picture day. Think sports photo with tutus, hair and make up. While I can manage my own hair and make up, I quickly found myself in over my head with the girls' hair and make up. First, exactly how do you get mascara on those tiny eye lashes? Second, how do you get them to keep their eyes closed while applying shadow? And the biggest: how do you curl that hair? I mean really... I tried drying their hair, using gel and then over two hours in curlers for Maggie (over 3 for La Nina's) and their hair was straight by the time we got to the dance studio. (Mom- I swear I tried!)

After applying make up and curling hair, I had to load the girls into the car in bath robes and flip flops--the tutus and car seats don't mix--, drive 15 minutes to the dance studio, change them into their costumes in the parking lot, then walk them 50 yards into the studio without getting dirty. The Magster made it. La Nina didn't She somehow ended up with these huge black smudges on her pick ballet shoes and tights. I noticed the marks that on the way to the car after pictures, so I have no idea if they're in the picture or not. Worse, I don't know if I can get them out of the shoes or tights for the recital.

Literally, it took me four hours and more yelling at the kids than I care to remember to pull off picture day. I talked to another Mom with two daughters in picture day, she spent 6 hours on the project due to a faulty costume and lack of bobby pins. She mentioned a lot of shouting was involved at her house too. After we came home, I had a BIG glass of wine. The recital is June 10. I better start planning for hair and make up now. Another Mom at the studio with hair like my girls told me to try not washing their hair for 2 days, then curling with an iron with aqua net. I'll be hitting Target this week for supplies. If I were you, I'd buy stock in bobby pin and hair spray companies.

Oh yeah, I suppose I should mention, the girls did look too cute in those costumes with their make up. The pictures will be worth it.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:36 PM , Blogger elizabeth said...

    Oh, wow, this brings back memories of when I did dance as a kid! I don't know if this is a realistic option for your girls given their ages, but I remember sleeping overnight in curlers. Obviously not too comfortable, but hot rollers didn't seem to do it for my hair and the dance studios can be a bit strict about everyone looking "just so." It ends up being a lot of blood, sweat, and tears but in the end it's a blast! Good luck!

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Will and Julia's Mommy said...

    Coming from an adult that was a little girl with stick straight asian hair...

    1. No washing on the day of... unless the girls hair gets oily.
    2. Day before apply mousse and hairspray to really "gunk" it up.
    3. Section hair, spray, curl, spray and do not brush out until all hair is curled.
    4. Actually, don't even brush, use your fingers to style - and remove anything flamable and spray, spray, spray!

    Good Luck!

     
  • At 6:06 AM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Thanks for the advice. I made several mistakes on picture day and clearly this whole hair thing is going to take some work. Because yes, their hair has to be just right.

     
  • At 5:58 PM , Blogger Jacquie said...

    The girls are just precious. So fun for me to see you grow from work with Gov. Deukmejian to an even more important job! Love the humor; love your talent. lv, Jacquie

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home