Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Work is done, but there's still a ways to go.

Since the day we started our remodel, I've envisioned my completed house. In my vision, everything is perfect. The paint, the furniture, even the inside of every cabinet is organized and efficient. The gleam of my new stainless steel appliances competing with the slick, gloss of my granite.

Today was supposed to be the day I realized those visions. We moved back into our house on schedule. (God bless our contractor.) The major portion of the project is complete and the items left to be done are truly minor. Yet, my visions of perfection are a distant blur...'cuz somewhere in my future plan I never considered I'd have to move. Again.

Somehow, even though the nail pounding work is done, the remodel of far from over. I'm back to boxes. Boxes stacked so high I can't see the gleam of anything but packing tape. I did get my kitchen put together last week and that's the only reason we had dinner here tonight. And we do have beds to sleep in..I did that yesterday. it's a start. But otherwise, it's camping. We have one functioning shower for all of us. (The other is inaccessible due stacks of books I need to put back on a shelf.) We're missing a kitchen table. (The old one doesn't work, so we have to find a new one.) Our clothes are still in suitcases. I have no idea how we'll find anything to wear tomorrow.

Regardless of the mess around me, it feels so good to be home. The girls both love their rooms. Maggie's having a tough time getting used to sleeping alone again. For the first time tonight, she told me she didn't like to be alone. Only new thing in that statement is she can now articulate it. La Nina's a little disappointed she didn't get a new bed like Maggie did, but La Nina didn't need a new bed.

Now I get to unpack and figure out what else I should've gotten rid of before we remodel. And someday, my house will match my vision. Someday soon, I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home