Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cooking Camp: Part 2

Last year, I signed La Nina up for Cooking camp. It's a three hour camp where the kids make some sort of food each day, complete a food related craft and read food related stories. While La Nina screamed bloody murder the first two days I took her, by day 3 she loved it. The Magster is old enough to attend camp with her sister this year. So, the two girls are in the same 'camp class'. Below is a conversation I had with the Magster about her camp.

"Maggie, what's your teacher's name?"

"I don't know." The Magster replied never lifting her eyes from coloring.

"Did you meet her today Maggie?"

"No."

"Why not, Maggie?"

"I don't talk to teachers Mom." Her answer was so matter of fact, I was taken aback.

"Why don't you talk to your teachers Maggie?" I continued.

"That's Carly's job, Mom. I don't talk to teachers."

Great, I thought. She's in a 'class' with Carly for the first time and she's letting her sister do all the talking, while I get not a moment's peace and quiet from the same child. Why can't I get a little more silent treatment?

This conversation took place on Monday and was repeated on Tuesday. So, this morning I talked to the teachers. Here's how it went:

"SO, how's my little one doing?" I queried.

"You know, I don't think she's said a word to me," she answered.

"Is she talking to the other kids?"

"No. She just stays right with her sister unless it's art time, then she's the first one at the table and the last to leave. But she stays quiet. Is she delayed?"

"Trust me, she's not delayed. She loves art and she told me she wasn't talking to teachers." I explained.

"Well, we're going to work on her today, I'll let you know."

At the end of the day during pick up, the teacher informed me that they separated the Magster and La Nina. And the Magster remained silent.

I almost laughed. The Magster isn't going to let a mere separation weaken her resolve. These teachers clearly don't know who they're up against. This is just one of those occasions when she has dug her heals in and has decided she's not going to talk. She'll make it through all five days without speaking and leave this group of teachers convinced she can't speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home