Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Catching Up

Well, at least our week ended a bit slower than it began. Friday, the girls and I celebrated what felt like our first true day of summer. We went to the pool, had haircuts, went for ice cream. We did nothing on the house except live in it. It was a first in many months when the house didn't dominate our free time and we all enjoyed the day immensely.

***

In other news, it looks like weekly hair drama will enter my life starting next week.. La Nina's dance team will be performing the Nutcracker this December. I thought this was an optional affair for La Nina, but La Nina herself informed me this is not optional and she's dancing in the show. Therefore, it's my job to have La Nina ready for her Nutcracker rehearsals each week and her hair must be in a bun. Oy vey. These dance teachers...why are pony tails so bad? Ponytails, I can manage. I'm worried about the bun.

Next week, we'll find out her role in the show. She's hoping for a peppermint over a mouse, because the mice get stuck with swords by the soldiers. I'll keep all of you posted.

***

Post script on losing our dog: The girls are doing ok with the loss. Thank you for all the kind words. And not to make light of a sad thing, but the Magster is cracking us up on this whole issue. She wants to know if Hops still has fur, if Hops' new wings have fur, etc. Most funny are her random recitations of the names of every dog she knows that has died to totally unsuspecting adults. For instance our neighbor was out and the Magster walked up to her and gave her a five minute monologue on dogs who have died. Her speech includes their names, whether or not they were good dogs, the fact that they have fur and wings now, but they don't fly because dogs walk. The poor neighbor desperately tried to follow her rambling, but got lost. Then I had to explain without laughing, but I'm talking about dogs who have died and it isn't funny, but it is sort of funny. Anyway, we're slowly getting used to life with one dog. It's an adjustment for all of us.

***

The start of kindergarten is drawing near. This week we pick up our registration packet, next week we register, then August 28, La Nina starts school. I can't believe this date that always sounded so far off is now two weeks away. We need to go shopping for her first day of school clothes. And I'm curious...do you remember what you wore to school on your very first day? I do. It was a green dress with this really cool little vest and the shirt underneth it had little flowers. I asked the Dad and he has no recollection of his clothes the first day of school. If you remember yours, drop me a note. I wonder how many people remember.

That's it for me.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Katja said...

    I most definitley remember: it was a pink dress with a red and blue checked pattern - handmade by my Mom. And I had new red shoes to go with it!

     
  • At 9:54 AM , Blogger Ani said...

    First day of kindergarten I wore a gray jumper with a white button down shirt and black laced shoes. I wore the same uniform through 8th grade (sigh.) Gotta love Catholic school uniforms.

     
  • At 5:55 PM , Blogger Terri Kallal said...

    My mother took pictures and I still have them! I wore a patchwork suede-like jumper with navy blue knee socks and brown mary-janes.

     
  • At 10:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I still remember & I still have the poloroid!

    It was a smock style madras-y plaid dress in shades of orange, yellow and blue with a white peter pan collar. My favourite part was the little bar pin with the faux clock that dangled from it that went at the neck right where the collar came together (it was the reason I wanted the dress!) Iwore it with white socks and navy blue mary-jane Buster Browns.

    Don't laugh- it was the 70's.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home