Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, August 03, 2007

The Very Bad Parent

Ok, so tonight, I was a bad parent. It isn't a first, but I ususally don't do things like this. It was family night, movie night, which we do on Friday nights, and I just couldn't face Cinderella, Belle, Aurora, Ariel or Jasmine. We've been working so hard to get back into the house and tonight was the first time I sat down to just enjoy it for awhile. The girls were arguing about which princess movie to watch and I vetoed anything Disney. I showed my kids Grease.

Ok, it was totaly inappropriate for their ages, just in case you're wondering. Really, I'm not sure if it's so great for twelve year olds...which is how old I was the first time I saw it. But I still love it. The singing, the dancing, the wild staging...how can you not love it. And I'm hopeful the bad part of the movie went over their heads. But then again, who knows what they know?

Despite my grave concerns regarding my parenting skills, it was still a really fun movie. The girls shushed me a million times for singing to the music. But I couldn't help myself: Hopelessly Devoted, Summer Lovin', Greased Lightin", who can resist singing along? AND by the end of the movie, they were asking to hear the songs again.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear "Very Bad Parent",

    My very bad parent took me and my best friend Beth-Ann to the drive in to see this flick when we were all of 5. Then they bought us the albums, and I still have memories of us singing every word to every song. Not to worry: we had no idea why Rizzo was taking cold showers or what a pussy wagon was. We just loved the dancing and catchy songs, thought the dresses were neat, and knew if we were named Sandy that we'd look just like Olivia Newton-John and be able to sing like her.
    You're not a bad parent. If you show them Grease 2 I'll call you a bad parent for entirely different reasons. :)

    ~Michelle
    whose kid has seen all kinds of unmentionable movies

     
  • At 7:03 AM , Blogger Terri Kallal said...

    I've been wondering if I could get away with letting Em watch Grease, but now I know I CAN! Thank you for blazing the trail. Another great music movie is High School Musical.

     
  • At 8:52 PM , Blogger Chris Ayers & Kelly Kline said...

    Can I join the bad parent club too? I was thinking that "3" was a good age to be exposed to fun music and great dancing. Go Grease Lightning! --Kelly

    p.s. The only reason why I started babysitting as a pre-teen was because my mom wouldn't let me watch Grease. I figured out that after the kids went to bed I had free reign of HBO!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home