Maggie Makes Four!

This journal started off documenting the adoption of our youngest daughter. It now follows the twist and turns of our lives as we raise these two amazing little creatures into the best women they can become.

Friday, August 31, 2007

We Made It!

We survived our first week of kindergarten. La Nina is exhausted, but enthusiastic to go back next week.

A few random thoughts on the week:
It's true that kindergarten tires kids out for the first week, at least it did ours. The latest bedtime was 7:30pm. The earliest was 5:55pm. (Unfortunately, she didn't get dinner that night.)

Biggest challenge: Meals! She starts school at 11:30. She's never been a big breakfast eater, and lunch at 11am is not appealing. I started packing big snacks for her, but she informed me to lighten up on snacks so to increase her playtime. SO-
we may be eating dinner around 5pm here..which solves the problem with an early bedtime, but kills family dinners. I have no idea how we're going to resolve this one.

Easiest part of this week: Getting to know people. The Moms are all very friendly and the kids are too. La Nina has already made friends with a couple of the little girls. It's quite helpful that I know their Moms.

Most amazing thing: How interested La NIna is in learning Spanish. Let's face it: Dual Immersion was our idea, not hers. But she's totally into it. She's already asking us to help her translate things, and tonight, she asked me to make flash cards to help her learn her days of the week. According to a bi-lingual Mom who's been in the classroom, the teacher is already teaching about 70% in Spanish (the class will be 90% in Spanish within the next two weeks--they go slow at first.) The English speaking kids are having no trouble following her. The example the Mom gave was that teacher read the class a story in Spanish and asked the kids questions about the story in English...and the kids answered the questions.

So, there you have it. I'm off to make my daughter flash cards. (What mother could refuse such a request?) Of course, I'll be on Babelfish trying to remember the days of the week myself. Anyone?

6 Comments:

  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger 2china4S said...

    Lunes, Martes, Miercoles, Jueves, Viernes, Sabado y Domingo. La Nina is going to rock in two languages.

     
  • At 9:51 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 10:37 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    I'm mucking up my own blog with poorly written comments. Thanks for the spellings! And since you agree with Babelfish, I'm going to ask something that has me stumped. For some reason, I'm remembering you don't capitalize the days of the week in Spanish as you do in English. Is that true?

     
  • At 6:40 AM , Blogger 2china4S said...

    You are correct, and this is where my education now bites me in the butt. I was taught in English(K-Masters,except for religion and Spanish). To this day, I keep capitalizing when I shouldn't, force of habit. :)

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Ani said...

    you have it right - days of the week (and months) aren't capitalized in spanish.
    I think the dual immersion program is going to be a family program for you guys :)
    good luck.

     
  • At 9:49 PM , Blogger One Lucky Mom said...

    Yes, dual immersion is going to be an education for all of us. I'm looking forward to remembering my Spanish. Thank you to every one who posted and emailed the correct answers. La Nina practiced her days of the week on and off all day.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home